I didn’t know about this cake until I have tried the premade version in the supermarket. It was the most fluffy and moist cake that I tried so I had to make it as my 21st Birthday cake.
This Devil’s food cake has a basis of a fluffy and super moist cake batter which can be tricky to manipulate as it is easily breakable. I covered it with chocolate buttercream, white fondant stars and some decoration candies.
For 6 people serving: (double the ingredients amount if a bigger cake is wanted)
– 150 g flour
– 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of salt
– 1/2 pack (5g) of baking powder for cakes
– 75g unsweetened cocoa powder
– 125-150 g sugar
– 30 ml hot coffee diluted in 90 ml of hot water*
– 110 ml olive oil
– 120 ml of milk**
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of vanilla extract
* 120 ml of hot coffee can be used for a stronger coffee taste. Coffee is used as a chocolate taste enhancer.
**Buttermilk can be used but sugar amount should be decreased by at least 50g. For a lactose free solution, use any milk substitute or hot water.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
2. In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Add the diluted coffee, oil and milk and mix until combined.
4. Add eggs and vanilla and mix for another 2 minutes.
5. Pour batter into a greased and floured 25 cm round baking pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes
7. Let cool in pans until warm and then remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
8. While the cake is cooling prepare the chocolate buttercream (see buttercream recipe).
9. Add the buttercream on top of the cake using a spatula or a flat knife.
10. Decorate the cake and serve.
If you have any suggestions about what I should make next…Please leave a comment below 🙂