Puff pastry dough is used a lot in French deserts to make pies, croissants and many other traditional cakes such as the Kings cake (Galette des Rois).
Please see my French Kings cake (Galette des Rois) Recipe.
This recipe is not sweetened so it is very suitable for pies where the filling is sweetened.
– 250g of Flour
– 100g of Soft butter
– 3 pinches of salt
– 1/3 cup of cold water
- Put the flour, salt and water all in a bowl and mix with the tips of your fingers.
- When the flour is well incorporated, cover the dough ball with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 1/2 hour.
- Roll the dough in a shape of a rectangle with the shorter side facing you.
- take 25g of butter and spread it on 1/3 of the dough leaving 2cm of border without butter. Fold the dough in 3 like a wallet (first the side with butter sandwiched in between the other layers of dough.
- cover it again with the towel and wait 20 minutes.
- Do the step 3, 4 and 5 again until no butter is left. Be sure to turn 180 degrees the dough every time you roll it.