This recipe is the adapted version of my jjajangmyeon recipe. It is the same technique and most of the ingredients are the same but I have added some additional ingredients to make it as good (or even better than its meaty concurrent)!
This recipe will be my first official vegan recipe on this blog! YAY finally!
for 4 people:
- noddles ( thick asian vegan noddles otherwise go for some sweet potatoes noddles)
- 1 zucchini (or courgette), cut into small cubes
- 1 big (handsize) potatoe , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 big carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 big onion cut into small cubes (same size as zucchini)
- 1/2 leek (green part), cut into thin stripes
- 100g of spinach cut into stripes
- generous amount of vegetable oil ( about 4 table spoons)
- generous amount of black bean paste ( about 6 table spoons of paste)
- 2 Tablespoons of potato starch * powder diluted in 60 ml of water
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (for taste)
- 1/4 of cucumber cut into thin matches for garnish
- optional: daikon (japanese pickled radish), cut into thin matches for garnish
- optional: 250g of tofu (pregrilled soy sauce soaked tofu is devine)
*corn starch can be used as well
- Peel and cut all the vegetables (onion, carrot, leek, potatoes, zucchini, spinach and cucumber). Put them into seperate bowls as each vegetable have different cooking times for example: potatoes cook longer than carrots.
- boil some water and cook the noodles by following the instructions of the noodle package.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add half of the vegetable oil and cook the onion. It should be a light brown colour.
- Add the potaoes and 2 tablespoon of water. As soon as you add the water, cover with a lid or a big plate that covers the entire surface of the pan. Wait for the water to be done about 1 minute before stiring.
- Add the diced carrots and zucchini. Add 4 table spoons of water and cover again. (This will speed up the cooking time for the vegetables)
- Add the rest of the vegetables (leek and spinach), add the rest of the vegetable oil and stur it in.
- Push all the vegetables onto the sides of the pan so that there is a hole in the middle of the pan.
- Add the black bean paste and the sesame oil. mix the sauce with the oil but leave the sauce in the middle of the pan WITHOUT mixing the vegetable mixture in. This is important as this is a fried sauce dish.
- While the sauces are frying, make the potatoe starch mixture. This mixture will make sure that all the vegetables are covered with the rich thick sauce. Add 2 Tablespoons of potato/corn starch powder diluted in 60 ml of water and give it a good stir.
- Add the mixture to the pan and mix everything together. Stir until well combined and until the sauce becomes thicker.
- On your plate, place the plain noodles and on top the same amount of black bean vegetable mixture. Add the zuchini matches and some daikon.
- And VOILAAAAAAAA! Mix well before eating.
If you have any suggestions about what I should make next…Please leave a comment below