This is a dish that my mom makes often at home. It is a simple dish that has great taste and can be made fast for a lot of people. The emphasis of this recipe is on the Bechamel sauce, a staple of French cuisine. I just can never get enough of this creamy dream sauce! Sometimes, I put Bechamel sauce everywhere: in rice, pasta, veggies… it’s just sooo good!
For the cauliflower potato gratin, you will need :
– 1 cauliflower
– 4-5 big potatoes
– 1 big onion
– 1 pack of bacon strips*
– Cheese (for inside the sauce and on the top of the gratin)*
* You can make it vegan without adding these, the dish will still taste great. Just make sure that you add a certain amount of spices like pepper and nutmeg to avoid a bland taste.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celcius. Steam the potatoes and the cauliflower ( cooks faster if you cut them in smaller pieces)
- Cut the onion in cubes, the cheese (if not already grated)
- While the vegetables cooks, cook the meat until light brown, keep the fat in the pan to cook the onion with the fat until brown
- Add the vegetables in a oven pan. Be sure to place a piece of potato the same size as the cauliflower next to eachother. Add the onion and the meat evenly on top.
- Add the Bechamel sauce on the top of the vegetables. Add the grated cheese on top.
- Put it in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius. And wait for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
If you have suggestions on what to do next, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment